Thursday, February 19, 2009

Planning in advance to sin and then repent

1) If a person sins (say, for example, he/she steals), planning at that time to later repent of that sin, he/she is committing a second sin also--the sin of planning in advance to sin and repent, and thus, trying to manipulate the atonement to facilitate sinning. This second sin might be harder to repent of than the original sin of stealing--and a person could get caught in a cycle of insincerity, or in ambivalent layers of intention and mis-intention within one's own mind and soul. Now, is such a condition really very unlikely? Isn't it true that most of the time, when we knowingly sin, this is exactly what we are doing?

2) If, then, when we commonly commit sin, we can't avoid admitting that we aware in advance that we will need to repent later, then aren't we also aware in advance that we will have to face repenting for this second sin, too?--so we are planning in advance to repent of the second sin, as well, when we commit it--and wouldn't we, then, be committing a third sin--the sin of planning to repent of planning to repent of a sin? And can we avoid admitting that we plan to repent of this third sin, and aren't we then committing a fourth sin, that of planning to repent of planning to repent of planning to repent of a sin? And, similarly, aren't we also committing a fifth sin, and in fact an infinite regression of sins? Well, this line of thought seems unrealistic, but it is not too different than some explorations of the idea of self-awareness (I'm aware that I'm aware that I'm aware . . .) which has been thought to be a defining aspect of consciousness. Or it is not too different than some analyses of relationships between two people where an infinite regress is seen as an essential part of the dynamic (I'm aware of you being aware of me being aware of you being aware of me. . . ). Indeed, these types of things might be thought to be a feature of being human, and some say a fundamental difference between us animals, and certainly between us and a computer--the computer will get stuck in an endless loop and cannot process the issue as a whole.

3) Whatever the case may be as regards an infinite regression of sins, it is nice to note that the atonement of Christ is described as an "infinite atonement." (See 2 Nephi 9:7; 25:16; Alma 34:12)

6 comments:

  1. This stuff sounds like my reasoning sometimes. I can be a little obsessive about things...

    I have often thought about how in church they teach you to "try your hardest" and say that as long as you do, you'll be ok. But then I think to myself, if I were trying my hardest, then I wouldn't knowingingly sin. I know it's wrong, and I do it anyway. Otherwise it wouldn't be a 'sin'. So... Are we ever really trying our 'hardest'? I don't know. But the more I think about it, the more convoluted and confusing the idea becomes.

    God commands us to be perfect, and I guess that's what I have to strive to be. Luckily for all of us, there is an infinite atonement, as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I hadn't thought of it. Maybe there are three levels of wrongdoing:

    a) uninentional. Perhaps still requires apology and restitution in many, if not all cases, and perhaps reptentance to the degree of becoming more aware of what lead to it.

    b) a sin committed because of desire that overrides our willingness to do what's right in the situation. Intentional, but not really premeditated; more a momentary lapse because of a passing temptation. Definitely requires repentance, and self-examination to prepare for encounters with that temptation in the future.

    c) premeditated sins. Maybe, like premeditated murder, premediated sins are more grave commissions. Because we can't say that it was a momentary lapse in the face of overwhelming (or not so overwhelming) temptation... we actually planned, and patiently, committed a knowing sin. I actually don't think I know very many people who do that very often. I might have done something like this a few times in my life but I think most sins are of a or b's variety.

    But then maybe I have a strangely rosy view of the world. :) What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nosurf-- What about when instead of reading my scriptures and brushing my teeth and saying my prayers, I purposely am going to read a book until I fall asleep without doing any of it. Is that premeditated or can I claim that the temptation was overwhelming???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nosurf Girl, I think you have a good analysis. This looks a lot like what is used in a court of law, and also in Old Testament law. Also, when people are repenting, these issues are relevant to how hard and deep the repentance must be.

    However, some people are lumpers (they like to pull ideas together and tie up loose ends ) and some are splitters (they like to untie things and bring up ever more questions).

    So, in the spirit of the splitters I would ask: If a person does something unintentionally, whatever bad consequence follows, is that really a sin? If one is aware that something is wrong, whatever the lapse because of a passng temptation, isn't that to some degree premeditated? Finally, I would say that for myself, I commit clearly premeditated sins of ommision all the time, as Adele mentioned in not reading scriptures. (Is that a sin, not to read scriptures? Well, it's a wrong thing, I think.)

    Merillykaroy, I sympathize with your question, "Are we ever trying our hardest?" I can say for myself that I am not, but at least I am trying to try. Or at least trying to try to try. Or trying to try to try to try. Or . . . Maybe that's just an obsessive way for me to think, which is also kind of a circular thing, too. But the atonement involve us voluntarily giving up our pride and will to the Lord and becoming one with Him (John 17:21-22)and partaking of His nature. Do we have to be already perfect to do this? If so, then He, too, is defeated by an infinite regression--He saves us and makes us perfect, but we have to be perfect for Him to do this, so He saves us and makes us perfect so we can, but we have to be . . . I think if we strive with Him in these things He will work His miracle and through His infinite atonement and it will actually be able to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. It's funny how when you start un-clumping things, they almost come apart. Like, is there really a definitive line where sin starts and unintentional wrongdoing ends? Aren't some intentions subconscious? I've often wondered if that's the reason why we can never be perfect in this life; we're imperfect by nature (subject to temptations) and so sometimes we have thoughts come into our heads that we shouldn't (we quickly drive them out, but for that split second, they're there) or do things that are less than wise that might hurt another person. Where does sin start? ANd for that matter, how does intention play into it? ANyway.

    ReplyDelete