Friday, February 20, 2009

Counterfeit Sweets

So in church on Sunday, the talks were about the Word of Wisdom. Between going in and out of the chapel with a noisy baby, one of the speakers caught my attention. He asked the question (and I think he was quoting someone he knew with this whole idea):


Why don’t vegetables taste better if they’re good for you??


Now, I’ve long held my own opinions on this topic—it’s a question I have woefully considered most of my life. I even proudly came up with the motto “Nothing good was ever easy” to motivate myself because of such unfortunate twists of fate. But the speaker’s response was not what I was expecting!


He said… they do!


His claim was that they do taste good—or at least they did until the adversary’s counterfeit version came around.


When I heard that, I must admit I thought it was rather silly, and I would have been the first to argue that vegetables just don’t cut it. And how could chocolate muffins have been invented by anyone but the kindest person in the world? But throughout the week I’ve been thinking about this idea a little more.


Before processed foods and partially hydrogenated oil and ice cream sundaes, there were fruits and vegetables. Fruits are sweet, undeniably. Pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, oranges. Mmmm. Vegetables make you feel good when you eat them. They add flavor, they satisfy the needs of your body. There are even some vegetables that I am starting to appreciate as I get older (shhh! don’t tell anyone I said that…). But if you are surrounded by donuts and orange soda, it's hard to recognize any of that. It's hard not to be distracted.


I wonder if I would have loved vegetables had I been born in a day and age without Reese’s Pieces??


Yes, I think there is some merit in the idea that Satan is trying to distract us from what our body really needs. More sugar, more fat, more salt, more flavor! He wants us to pay attention to instant gratification when it comes to food, just like when it comes to anything else. And he doesn’t want us to observe the way our bodies feel after we come home from a burger joint and all that fried food is making our stomachs do flips. He doesn’t want us to notice just how many handfuls of snacky items we are shoving into our mouths while staring at a screen.


Josh and I have been trying to listen to our bodies better. We want to eat what our body feels like eating instead of what our taste buds are shouting. I don’t do very well, but I’m going to keep at it. And maybe someday, someday! my taste buds will beg me for a little more zucchini.

11 comments:

  1. Before processed foods and partially hydrogenated oil and ice cream sundaes, there were fruits and vegetables.

    Bingo!!!

    Just to make you feel better, I'm starting to love vegetables. But I used to hate them, too. So we're on the same track.

    But today I had string cheese, kool-aid, applesauce, peanut-butter-and=honey-sandwiches, cheetos, gummies, maccaroni and cheese, and the juice from a mandarin orange can.

    I think it's about being distracted by other foods, but also it's sometimes... just being distracted. Easy, pacakged, sugary foods are more convenient when you forget to eat breakfast because your'e busy and then your body gets all out of whack craving things that aren't good for you.

    Anyway. It's a process. I think you and josh made a good goal... we have to retrain our appetites sometimes, so that our bodies have enough experience with the good foods to know what to crave, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have certainly hit the nail right on the head in this observation. If you leave ANY and ALL processed sugar (and foods that have high fructose corn syrup etc.) out of your diet for even 2 or 3 days and replace it with FRESH and whenever possible RAW (canned does not taste good to me anymore) fruits and vegetables you completely lose the cravings for bad carbohydrates. Many people won't admit to themselves or anyone else that sugar is addicting. If I "fall" because someone offers me a piece of pie or some ice cream and I eat it I am less likely to beat myself up over it now than I used to. I just say to myself, "As soon as I am able, I'll eat fresh fruits and vegetables and consequently once again lose the bad food cravings" Our bodies are so amazing. They have the ability to heal if we don't give up on them. I don't buy tempting snacks or goodies nearly as often as I used to, and don't even feel deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The previous comment was made by Linda. The computer wouldn't let me switch accounts. AARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Mother and NoSurf when it comes to how well I think you nailed it. I was also at the said Sacrament meeting talk and thought the speaker's words were interesting, but I didn't think he quite nailed what he was trying to say. Instead I think a gorgeous babe of a wife did it for him (not his wife, my wife).

    Satan is all about excess and listening to our "natural" desires. Eating in moderation, and eating those foods that are best for this God-given-body is what brings the most happiness and joy out of the foods that God has given us.

    I loved your post. (and I'm not biased, well I am, but it was still a great post written by a very intelligent, beautiful woman despite my biasedness)

    ReplyDelete
  5. [This is Ron] I agree with the view points expressed.

    It would be interesting to look at the idea of "the adversary’s conterfeit" if we compare
    our Modern Times with the times that went before. What things have been directly put here by the adversary, and what things are an adversarial perversion of something that emerged As a biproduct of Modern Times?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THAT THOUGHT. Let's do a new post on it.

    I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on the modern phenomenon of videogames, and the internet, and social networking sites like facebook, for instance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Write it up and I'll put my $.02 in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My personal beef with the "produce tastes bad" issue, is the fact that, dependent upon where you live, vegetables really can taste pretty bland because they're imported from somewhere else. Take eating watermelon in the summer for instance (which is one of my favorite things to look forward to by the way). I go to the store, thwonk a handsome looking specimen, go home, cut it open, and... bleh. Now you may say, "that's a possibility wherever you live- even in California!" But I'm not talking about a possibility, I'm talking about 100% of the time! And I feel that way about most produce bought at the store in Utah (and it was even worse when I lived in Idaho). The one exeption is the garden grown stuff we got to have some of this past summer, cause our landlord was so generous. Now THAT was produce! So what I'm saying is, I agree that the Lord probably intended produce to tase good, but can't other things, besides bad food getting in the way, have an effect on our taste buds reactions? And that's not a ploy from Satan, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camilla,

    let's go farmer's market shopping this summer. Jeff and I have a goal to get as much of our produce as possible from farmer's markets, because not only does it taste better but it's also more environmentally sound! A big amen to dissappointing Utah supermarket produce. Peaches and nectarines are never edible. But I've sure had some great stuff from the farmer's markets.

    ReplyDelete