Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Dog and the Turnip


Once there was a lost dog. I don't know how he got so far from the farm where he lived--maybe he chased a cat too long, or maybe he was led away by a strange scent. Or maybe he just wandered away one night while he was dreaming. Once the dog realized he could not find his way home, he sauntered along the road, roaming this way and that, as dogs do.

There was a wide and spacious field near the road, and growing in the field was a turnip. The turnip called out to the dog, saying, "Ho there! You look like you're lost. Come over into this field and spend your days here." So the dog stayed in the field, catching mice for food. He amused himself by chasing butterflies. He comforted himself by rolling in the grass. He fulfilled his sense of achievement by barking all day and all night and all day and all night, until he was completely worn out. And he slept.

One day the dog said, "I'm lonely. I miss my family and I miss the farm. I want to go home."
"You don't ever need to go home," the turnip replied. "In this field we have all we could ever ask for. I am perfectly satisfied to spend my days here."

"But you are a turnip," replied the dog. "A dog needs more."

So the dog leapt up and ran out of the field, and back down the road again. After a few minutes, he heard a familiar voice calling him. The Farmer had been searching along that road for him ever since he was lost.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm seeing paralells with lost sheep. But a turnip as the voice of temptation? ???

    As a vegetarian, I'm offended.

    (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this story...

    I hope I'm a dog, not a turnip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a pretty milktoasty story. I wonder if it's possible to come up with an even less dramatic character than a turnip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does "milktoasty" mean? Cam said that maybe it means a simple story or something like that, but we couldn't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's an undramatic story. The villain is . . . there is no villain, just a turnip growing, and it doesn't act wrongly. There's very little tension.

    The point the story seeks to make turns on the fact that the different characters simply have different natures (or, in interpretation--as it's translated to talking about people, desires that drive that nature).

    The story might not seem to work because it draws it's energy from that fact that there is there is no real conflict, just natures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. OK, I get it now. The turnip is not the voice of temptation. This story is very relativistic, then. I like it a lot more now!! Not milkstoasty at all.

    ReplyDelete