Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Voice

by Adele


I’m silently fuming as I climb off the merry-go-round.

She hops off behind us and catches up, linking her arm in mine. “But seriously, those horses need a paint job, or something. And what was with that cheesy old music?”

In the most nonchalant voice I can muster, I reply, “I guess everything here is a little old, Cassie.”

She laughs. “That’s for sure. And why is the food so crappy? That hamburger tasted funny.”

And it was free, I think, biting my tongue. Because Sam and I paid for it.

Out loud, I just sigh.

Sam adds, “I didn’t mind the food at the Fry Shack. The shakes aren’t half bad.”

“Eh,” Cassie shrugs.

When she heads for the restroom up ahead, Sam sits down under a tree.

“I am so sick of her!” I burst out in a whisper, pacing back and forth in front of him. “Why can’t she just be grateful for once?”

Sam catches my hand and squeezes it reassuringly.

“She. Drives. Me. Crazy.” I mutter. “You know, she could stand to eat less anyway. She seriously eats more than you and I combined.” And it shows.

Sam pats my hand. “I know you love this place,” he says. “Just relax and have fun.”

“Kinda hard when nothing is ever good enough--”

I see Cassie approaching and quickly shut my mouth, giving her my best smile.

“Should we start heading toward the exit?” she asks cheerily. “Or do you guys want to go on more rides?”

“We’ve only been here for two hours.” Sam says, then adds in a spooky voice, “You still haven’t seen the House o’ Horrors.”

Cassie laughs, “I’m sure it’s real scary.”

“Thirteen floors of scariness,” Sam says. “With a dizzying view from the top. Come on, you’ll like it.”

“All right,” Cassie shrugs. “If you want, we can go.”

“I’m going to wait this one out, guys,” I say, sitting down on the grass under the tree. “I think I need a break.” From you, Cassie.

They promise to call me when they finish with the House o’ Horrors. They walk off, Cassie launching into a description of the awesome haunted house “back home.”

I kick off my sweaty shoes and lean against the tree.

That’s gratitude for you. Sure, she’s been through a lot, but then, so have we. And a simple thank you wouldn’t kill her for all the things we’ve done for her. Why doesn’t she just go back home if everything is so much better there?

After a few minutes, my phone rings. I look to see who it is.

Yep, Cassie. Apparently there isn’t anything here that can entertain her for very long. Nope, nothing is ever good enough.

I sigh and flip my phone open.

“Done already?” I ask.

No reply.

“Hello? Cassie? Are you guys done?” I say after a moment.

Still no reply.

I am about to hang up when I hear the voice.

“And it was free. Because Sam and I paid for it.”

Confused, I pause. Is that my voice?

Then “Um…” I hear Cassie’s voice say.

“I am so sick of you!” The voice, my voice, seems to be yelling from the phone. “Why can’t you just be grateful for once?”

A moment of silence, and then I hear Cassie say, “Aunt Laurie… I’m sorry--I didn’t--”

And there I am again, unmistakable.

“You. Drive. Me. Crazy!” my voice is shouting. And then, “You know, you could stand to eat less anyway. You seriously eat more than we do, combined. And it shows.”

There is another pause, longer, and then I hear crying.

“Cassie, listen to me, I’m not sure what’s going on,” I finally attempt, standing up and holding the phone with both hands. “Listen, where are you guys? Did you--”

The voice on the line suddenly continues with a nasty edge. “Nothing is ever good enough, is it? That’s gratitude for you. Sure, you’ve been through a lot, but then, so have we. And a simple thank you wouldn’t kill you for all the things we’ve done for you. Why don’t you just go back home if everything is so much better there? Oh, that’s right, because they don’t want you. Nobody does.”

I gasp, my stomach churning at the terrible words being spoken. I want to stop them, hang up the phone, do something.

I hear Cassie’s voice, quiet and full of emotion. “You’re right. You’re right, Aunt Laurie.”

“No! That’s not me saying those things! I’m Aunt Laurie! That’s not me!” I shout into the phone, knowing it’s useless. Knowing Cassie won’t hear me.

And that is when it hits me.

Those are my words. I have muttered them to myself, or to Sam, or to really any person who will listen and feel sorry for me, give me a sympathetic pat on the back and a knowing look when Cassie has turned the other way. When she isn’t watching.

I listen, numbly, as the voice continues. It’s softer now, crueler.

“No, all we have here are crappy hamburgers and lame old merry-go-rounds. Definitely not good enough for someone like you. Maybe you should leave. Maybe you should try what you tried before, but this time do it right.”

I drop the phone in horror. I have to find Cassie. Is Sam with her now?

Oh. The House o’ Horrors. With its thirteen stories and old, creaky handrails on the roof.

I run as fast as I can, past the souvenir stands and the rides and the cotton candy. I cut through the line, shoving the handful of people out of my way. They stare at me and yell but I keep running, finally diving into the elevator and pushing the button labeled ROOF.

Then I am at the top and I see her. She is leaning over the railing.

“Stop!” I scream as I run toward her. “I didn’t mean it! I’m so sorry I hurt you, Cassie! Stop stop stop!”

And then she turns to look at me, frustration on her face, and confusion.

“What?” she asks as I grab her arm. “What are you doing?”

“Where is Sam?” I pant, trying to catch my breath.

She looks at me, irritated.

“I accidentally dropped my cell phone over the railing about ten minutes ago. He went to go find a maintenance guy or something to see if it can be salvaged in all that junk down there. My brand new phone! Soooo annoying.”

She gestures around her. “And really, what a joke. The merry-go-round was scarier than this.”

5 comments:

  1. Ack! What a horrible thing that would be.

    It's true, though. When we're "venting" we don't realize that we're kind of damaging ourselves in the same way we'd be damaging another person if they heard what we were saying. Human life is something we value only in certain circumstances... it's odd. I liked the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this story. It has inspired me to be more careful about what I say and think and to whom I say it. Good stories cause people to become better. Yours qualifies for that distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seamlessly written.

    One of those stories that is truly frightening at its heart. Why? I think because it taps into the fear we all have of seeing truths about ourselves--for example, that we are as bad as people we criticize--or worse--. What is especially creepy is that the phone said things she didn't consciously think, but that were the implications of what she was thinking, and that, deeper down, she was indeed aware of this, but hiding from herself.

    Also in the story, the whole idea is magnified by the mysterious and disturbing behavior of her phone (coupled in time with the dropping of the other phone).

    In the end there is mercy, however. It is an act of mercy to show all of this to herself (as she can grow by being confronting it and processing it) and not to Cassie (who is too fragile to do something like that yet).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THIS.

    Such a cool concept. I also loved that in the end, Cassie didn't end up hearing any of it. But that didn't matter. This is definitely a teaching story, one that while reading, you think, "oh man, that reminds me of yesterday, when I thought this rude thing about this person" and then think "what if they knew I thought that or gossiped about them" and then of course, the prompting to change.

    Very, very cool story, mk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adele, you already know I love this story. In a really ashamed way because it makes me think about all the mean things I've thought about people. Isn't it amazing how our inner-voice kind of takes on a life of its own after too much free license?

    The thing I liked most about this story was the fact that Cassie really WAS all those things the narrator was thinking, and yet it was still wrong to think them. Sometimes I have felt so justified in going on and on to myself about someone's shortcomings, but when I stop and evaluate how negative I have started to be about EVERYTHING- not just the person I'm mad at- it becomes obvious that there is nothing productive in thinking that way. It's a slow poison.

    Loved this story Adele- so glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete