Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Day To Remember

George stood in the line to enter "The Happiest Place Ever" theme park. Since the line was so very long, he thought he would chat with his friend Bob on his cell phone. When he finally got to the cashier's window, he kept the phone against his ear with his shoulder, paid for the ticket and walked through the park gates while continuing his conversation. He was still talking while he rode the "Giant Grizzly". He walked over to the "Enchanted Lake" boat ride all while he visited on his phone. George continued the same call while he munched on lunch apologizing for his muffled speech. He talked as he walked to the "Haunted Hallows", waited in line (still conversing with Bob), then sat in the black chair when his turn came to ride into the gaping front door. . . all the while chatting. He stayed on the phone with his friend the entire day. When it got dark, he walked out of the front gates, got into his car, and drove (with his phone still glued to his ear) to his house. He talked as he went up to his room on the second floor. He laid down on his bed and said "talk to you later, Bob," then closed the phone and tossed it onto his nightstand.

George's mother tapped softly on his open bedroom door.

"George dear, where have you been all day?" she asked.
"I don't remember," he replied.

And he didn't.

6 comments:

  1. It bugs me, too. You miss life while listening to something you're not really a part of, or constantly staring through a camera lens trying to capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother! I loved your story.

    I loved this line: "George continued the same call while he munched on lunch apologizing for his muffled speech." Oh man, I know people who are like that. Hopefully I'm not one of them. Or you're in a public restroom and someone in the stall next to you is jabbering away while using the facilities...

    It's funny, I actually have had times I've been on the phone while doing something and afterward the details of what I did while talking are very hazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's a shame. I'm temporarily guiltless in this vein (as noted in comment to Uncle Ron's story, I haven't got a cell phone), but I don't expect to remain so once I am again allowed to exercise my free agency in the matter.

    At least the prompt wasn't "a theme park and email". I'd be hosed then...

    I liked it! Short, sweet, and very much to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written and well paced. Nice use of irony.

    Full of wisdom (as expected).

    You have tipped your hand: now you have no escuse not to post stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! I agree with dad, "you have no excuse not to post stories in the future." That was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOM!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO- we finally got mom to write a story!!! THIS is quite an accomplishment. We will be expecting much more from where this came from.

    Okay, now that my frenzy of excitement is over, I want to say that I really liked this story. I hate to say it but I sometimes feel this way (like I can't remember what I've been doing) when I've been talking to YOU, mom, for a long time. We do have some really wonderfully long conversations. Sometimes I'll get off the phone and wonder "did Dinah just take her first steps, or did Ryan just do a series of handstands?" But I'll never know because I was so absorbed in the conversation. Haha! So maybe it's okay sometimes? Because I wouldn't trade my conversations with you for anything!

    I guess we'll know we've gone too far if I start taking the phone to bed with me at night because we're still talking.

    Thanks so much for writing Mom! Great story!

    ReplyDelete