Thursday, April 9, 2009

Weeds

The little boy sat disconsolately on the ground. It was a hot day. The small rocks underneath him dug into the soft flesh of his legs and behind, through the thin material of his shorts. He sat cross-legged with his elbows on his knees and his chin in his hands.

I’ll never finish it all. Dad’s so mean. I wish I was at Troy’s house playing Xbox.

He sighed and lifted his head to look over the backyard. It was a rather large backyard, as backyards go. A large stretch of grass spread in a circular shape from the middle of the yard and filled two-thirds of the space. Bordering the grass in all directions were little purple rocks neatly enclosed by the outer perimeters of the big stone wall. From where the little boy was sitting, the rocks seemed to stretch on forever in endless purpleness. And springing up everywhere amidst the purple sea were little green tufts. Weeds. It reminded the boy of his family’s trip to the lake the year before. In the shallow places, skinny reeds had stuck up through the water, poking their heads out to wag to and fro with the undulating water. That had been a fun trip. The little boy’s head sank back down into his open palms and he sighed.

Dumb Dad. Why doesn’t he come out here and do it himself if he cares so much about it.

The boy couldn’t see any good reason to waste his time pulling up weeds. They would only grow back. And then he would have to pull them up all over again. It really wasn’t fair. He could just hear his dad’s voice droning the same words over and over again. ‘You’ll never finish if you never start.’ ‘The weeds aren’t just going to pull themselves up.’ ‘I don’t care if it takes you all day, these rocks will be weed-free before you go anywhere today.’

The little boy knew it was true; he wasn’t going anywhere until every last weed was lying in a pile on the ground, roots splayed out limply like a heap of dead squid. He sighed again and stared at the ground.

Fine. I’ll do it. But it’s so unfair. I won’t even do a good job. Dad is so stupid.

He reached for the first one, a tiny little sprout near his right knee that was just barely cresting the top if the rocks surrounding it. His thumb and pointer finger pinched the weed’s tiny stem and pulled it easily from the ground. He brought the weed to his face, squinted at it, and then tossed it aside. Slowly, the boy cleared the small area in front of him.

Scooting into the spot he had just cleared, the boy looked up again over the endless rocks and glared. There were just so many weeds. Again he could hear his dad’s voice in his head. ‘If you did a little every day during the week it wouldn’t be so bad come Saturday.’ ‘A little work every day goes a long way.’

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

The boy reached for the next section and began again to slowly pick the weeds from the ground. He scooted and picked, scooted and picked. After about ten minutes he looked up again to see if he was almost done, but if anything it seemed like he hadn’t started at all. He looked at his fingers which were starting to get hard and slightly brown. He felt a trickle of sweat make its way slowly down the side of his neck. His back was already starting to ache a little. He looked over at his feeble little pile of discarded weeds and groaned. He really didn’t know how he’d ever finish. To pick this many weeds would probably take until next Tuesday- at the soonest. He started again. Scoot and pick, scoot and pick.

About a half hour passed and the boy determined not to look up, hoping that would make the time go faster. When his fingers ached in protest and his back felt ready to snap in half he finally looked up to take a break. He gave a little scream of surprise. Surely there hadn’t been that many weeds before. The ground in front of him seemed so much thicker with weeds than he had thought there were. It must be a trick of being closer up, he reasoned to himself grumpily. Absently, he picked a weed growing next to his hand and threw it behind him towards the growing pile. As he watched, the weeds in front of him seemed to grow slightly, a little taller and a little denser. He blinked twice and squinted at the ground in front of him.

What the…?

He picked another weed, quickly, his gaze fixed in front of him still. Were his eyes playing tricks on him or did the rocks seem to disappear a little more; was there just a little more green in front of him than there was a second ago? He stood up.

Slowly he walked to the center of the worst part of the weeds. Here he could barely see any rocks at all. Squatting down, he closed each hand, on either side of his body, on a clump of weeds and yanked them up, scattering dirt and rocks as he stood up.

There was no question about it. As he watched, the weeds in front of him grew a couple of inches and hundreds more grew in the crowded places between them. He dropped the uprooted weeds in horror and turned around. The small path he had made in the last forty minutes was already almost completely grown over by even bigger and uglier weeds. It couldn’t be possible.

In a frenzy the boy set upon the jungle of weeds and began ripping them out in desperation, not paying attention to where he was weeding, just intent on ripping every last ugly green monster from its place. When he was panting from the effort, he stopped for a moment to catch his breath and stood gasping looking around him. For a moment it seemed he had gotten the better of them. Limp, dead weeds lay in scattered heaps everywhere and the ground could be seen again in some spots. The boy grimaced in triumph and wiped his hands against the material of his shorts at his sides.

Stupid weeds.

That was when he noticed something odd about his house. From where he stood it looked like moss was growing on the outside of the back of the house. He ran to get a closer look.

Weeds. Weeds were now growing thickly across the stucco wall. Growing before his very eyes, moving quickly to cover every empty space. He heard a noise and jerked his head in time to see weeds push open the sliding glass door and enter the house.

He could just hear his dad’s voice as he stared in shock at the ever-greener world around him. ‘I told you, a few weeds a day keeps the hard work away.’ ‘There’s no way you’re going to your friend’s house today young man.’

8 comments:

  1. I love it! You did a great job with the descriptions- I can relate to the little boy :) I remember those days in the hot sun, trying to be motivated to weed...
    It's great how the weeds kind of take over everything no matter where they grow. They seem hopeless when you haven't spent enough time on them. The same goes for anything in life- when you don't take care of it, it becomes daunting when you decide to face it. Tiny, little things can become great burdens. It's the negative version of through small and simple things come great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Natalie's analysis of your story.

    I also remember the crab grass and other tough weeds we had to weed in the rocks... but it was so stubborn! It wasn't just a quick pull and out came the weeds-- the roots were hard to get to. And then there were the ants....!

    The ending is fun. I mean, scary. I guess that's what happens when we don't listen to the wise counsel of our parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of a few things:

    1) You just weeded recently so you know how it feels. I loved the description of the rocks in the skin, and the aching of the back.
    2) At the beginning, it was interesting that the boy hadn't even picked one weed, and yet he was complaining about weeding. For a while, I had assumed that he had been weeding for quite some time, but he then "proceeded to weed."
    3) There was a great talk in Conference a few years ago comparing weeding to repentance. The speaker emphasized the importance of constant repentance (constant weeding), just as the father in this story tried to teach his son. If we constantly repent, then we won't have to do so much at one time. Taking care of a temptation or sin now will prevent deep-rooted habits.
    4) Also, at the end, did the dad actually SEE the weeds, and that's why he made the comment, "I told you, a few weeds a day keeps the hard work away.’ ‘There’s no way you’re going to your friend’s house today young man." Did the weeds eat him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. [I just corrected some typos--I'm sure I didn't get all of them.]

    A great story deserving some thought.

    I remember childhood experiences when I was asigned tasks like weeding. This story captures the feelings. When I was a kid, however much I hated weeding, in my heart I trusted that my parents were right. However, when I look back as a parent, I trust myself much less than I trusted them.


    Turning specifically to the story: As unnatural things begin to occur and then crescendo, is this a manifestation of the kid's frustration and discouragement in the manner of Calvin and Hobbes--not to be taken literally, but for us all to participate in how the kid experiences life?


    Or if we start with premise that we take everything literally, and that the weeds truly were darkly intelligent and aggressive: Did the weeds take over/threaten the house because of the kid's neglect--so the kid ends up assuming responsibility for an effect much greater than a weedy patch? Or was the task too difficult at the outset, with unnaturally aggressive weeds--the kid being assigned something out of his league?


    In both of these cases, was the kid given a burden beyond his years--parallelling the idea that our younger generation will have to inherit the misjudgements, sins and indulgences of the older generation (breakdown of the family, national debt, wars, etc.)? If so, the story would be a warning. Or perhaps simply stating a tragic general truth of history--the curse to the 4th generation, etc.

    Or perhaps life is just like this for everyone. This is a reality story about growing up.

    But for me, as with your other stories, I sympathize with your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story reminds me of "the endlessly self-renewing task" idea we often quote from Solzhenitzen (like washing dishes etc.) But it also is just like a recurring nightmare I have about a chaotic house. I keep trying to put things away, but a new problem or mess keeps appearing and the house is NEVER clean no matter how much time is spent cleaning. Wow! What a story! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ironic, because I just finished clearing our garden plot of weeds. It sure ain't fun.

    I felt a bit angsty as I read this, remembering my own childhood, how i felt sometimes like I had been given a task to do, or an expectation, that was far and above what I felt capable of. And yet I turn around and do the same to my daugther. I want her to be perfect! To get tough! To learn the value of hard work!

    But sometimes it's important to realize they're kids. And not to expect them to be able to willingly do something that, even as adults, we inwardly groan at.

    The weeds, though. What an apt analogy. I love it. Anything worth doing in life, takes careful cultivation, and day-to-day changes. You either act to become what you wanted to be, or you are acted upon, because you haven't put forth any effort, and your life and soul become full of weeds that eventually get really difficult to dislodge. Things like addictions perhaps (the thing I always think of, of course:) But also just plain mediocrity. And sloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, lovely comments from everyone! Also as usual, this is a story that started as a result of doing something (yes Ryan, 2 1/2 hours of weeding the other day), and the thoughts that came to mind while doing it. In this case, as I was weeding I kept looking up thinking I was closer to the end than I really was, and being more and more grumpy that I wasn't :) That led me to laugh at myself since I have pretty much the same attitude towards weeding now as I did growing up- although, in this case, the task was actually voluntary.

    After writing the story, I realized it went in the direction it did cause I've been thinking about negative thoughts lately. Once you allow yourself to criticize one thing about someone or something, you slowly let it become the pattern for lots of things. Before you know it, you've got a lot of work to do to stop yourself from doing it about everything. So that's actually what I was thinking about as I refined the story.

    Nat- love your ideas about "the negative version of through small and simple things come great things"- very insightful.

    Adele and Nosurf- It does seem to point pretty obviously to following council from parents, doesn't it. Although I meant the last lines of the story ("He could just hear his dad’s voice as he stared in shock at the ever-greener world around him") to be ironic- I mean really, isn't it so true that so many times getting in trouble wasn't really hard because of the end punishment we were given, but because of the "I told you this would happen," comments that were sure to come first?

    Dad- I like your question of 'was this supposed to be sinister in a serious way or a fun way?' I kind of like to think it's both at the same time.
    Your different questions lead me to ask what the answer is if each is assumed to be true. I especially like the question about the next generation inheriting the sins of the previous one- not something I've thought a whole lot about, so I'll have to ponder that some more.
    (By the by, I hope you weren't worried that this story was me secretly trying to tell you that I think it was unfair that we had to weed growing up :) As I read it through again before I posted it, it occurred to me that I used phrases like "Dad is so stupid," a lot, and I really don't think you are! Haha, anyway.)

    Mom- you would have a nightmare about cleanliness! Weeds often make me feel like I'm living in a nightmare too, so I feel you on that one. No matter how many times someone makes an analogy about how weeding the backyard is so much like weeding out the imperfections in our lives, I still never feel very excited about weeding :)

    Ry- I really like this: "At the beginning, it was interesting that the boy hadn't even picked one weed, and yet he was complaining about weeding," because that should be officially announced as the standard attitude of all children old enough to recognize work as what it really is: work. You have to wonder, how much time did he waste dreading the chore before he actually started on it.
    Oh great, I'll be a perfect parent, I sound just like the kid's dad already!

    Thanks again for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all I think the story is fun. I know that "fun" isn't very descriptive in and of itself. But I guess what I mean by "fun" is that not only is it a story that you could pull a lesson from, but it's a story of a kid and an unusual adventure.

    I kept picturing an older jr and the reactions on his face as he was combating weeds, and his reaction when he heard the walking weeds speaking in his dad's voice. I really enjoyed reading it.

    On the moral thoughts I had while reading it, it was pretty much right on with what others gathered. When you described the menial chore I thought of the other menial chores we have to do all the time: Dishes, cleaning jr's highchair, dishes, making the bed, dishes, picking stuff up, dishes. Sometimes I wish I could just forget about it all and just sit and veg on the couch eating bon bons (the ice cream kind) and watch every last movie/tv show ever made.

    And sometimes I really do neglect things that need to be done and that just leads to more needing to be done later on anyways. You can't escape work. It seems that as soon as you realize that you were built to work and not veg you just come to terms with your fate and work. When I have those kinds of days I usually feel a lot better about myself and even closer to God.

    ReplyDelete