Saturday, March 14, 2009


In the Thicket

Skunk came running into the meadow. “There’s something wrong in the forest!” he cried. “There’s a wrong smell there!”

“What kind of smell is it?” asked Deer.

“I can’t really say, but it’s wrong,” replied Skunk.

“Where in the forest is it?” asked Rabbit.

“Come and see!” said Skunk. He ran back into the wood, looking over his shoulder, beckoning for Deer and Rabbit to follow him. After a little while Skunk pointed towards a large oak tree. “The smell is coming from over there somewhere,” he said.

“That’s where Bluebird lives,” said Deer. As the three of them approached the tree they noticed that on the ground there were twigs and pieces of straw scattered everywhere.

“Look up in the tree,” cried Rabbit. “Bluebird’s nest is gone! I think those things on the ground are all parts of it.” As Rabbit said this, she hopped all around the base of the tree, looking for signs of Bluebird.

“Bluebird!” shouted Deer, “Where are you? Bluebird, are you all right?”

“The smell’s coming from the thicket over there,” Skunk said, pointing to a thicket just beyond the oak tree. “And look, I think that’s Bluebird over in the thicket, too.”

As the three came close to the thicket, they saw Bluebird, and also two other birds, Robin and Jaybird, all huddling together in the bushes.

“Bluebird,” Deer called out. “Are you all right? What happened to your nest?”

“I didn’t need that nest anymore,” replied Bluebird. “We have a much better nest down here in the thicket.”

“But don’t birds of your kind build nests up in trees?” asked Rabbit.

“We always thought we had to,” Bluebird replied. “We just did it that way naturally, you know. But now we have found a better way to make a nest, haven’t we, girls?”

“We sure have,” chirped Robin and Jaybird.

Deer and Rabbit shrugged and turned to go, but Skunk was uneasy. “There’s a wrong smell in there,” he said, “I’m sure of it.”

. . . .

Back when the Visitor first arrived, she brought exotic ideas that Bluebird, Robin and Jaybird had never before imagined. “If you make your nest out of twigs and straw and other junk you find lying around, of course it’s going to look gunky and crude. There are finer materials available that I can help you get.”

“Would you really do that for us?” asked Bluebird.

“I would,” said the Visitor. “But even if you had the right materials, what would you do with them? Now, I know some very elegant plans for nests. They’re not that different in concept from the ones you make—you’d feel right at home—but they’re very intricate in design and the pattern is delightful and beautiful.”

“Oh, would you help us with that, too?” asked Robin.

“I would,” said the Visitor. “But the best thing is that the nest I help you make would be so much more useful to you than your nests are now. The way you live now, you must spend so much time out flying around looking for food. What a hard life! Such hard work, flying! Your nest could actually relieve this problem. You can have a nest with a real purpose--one that gives you food!”

“Would you really help us make a nest like that?” asked Jaybird.

“I would,” said the Visitor.

“Well, when can we start?” asked the three birds, excited.

“Well, how about right now?” said the Visitor. “But let’s not make it up in a tree, where you’re forced to fly around all the time. Let’s make it right down here in the thicket, a very good spot. And look, I have some fine thread right here with me now. Here, let me show you.” The Visitor was very quick and adept as she started weaving with all eight of her legs.

. . . . .

“The forest is so quiet these days,” said Deer.

“I know there’s something missing, but what is it?” said Rabbit.

“It’s Bluebird and Robin and Jaybird,” said Skunk. “They don’t sing anymore. And none of their little birdlings sing either. In fact, I don’t think there are any birdlings anymore.”

“How sad,” said Deer. And he and Rabbit ran off to play.

Skunk sat there looking towards the forest. “There’s something not right in that thicket,” he said to himself. “There’s a bad smell in there.”

8 comments:

  1. Wow.

    That makes me think of the technology/modern conveniences issue again. Naturally, we should live as pioneers do, right? Farming our own food, building our own homes out of materials we find in the area in which we live. But now things are different. Perhaps we're not even aware of the consequences to our health, our mentalities, and the way our children learn and grow up. Perhaps it's not all bad, as in this story, but it's something to think about.

    The other element is one of wanting to take the easy way out. usually when soemthing seems too good to be true, it is. It reminds me of this whole scandal with Nadoff and his ponsi scheme. All those people lost their entire life savings because of his selfishness... but perhaps also because they wanted to believe something that was too good to be true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the story could symbolize many things. It is so easy to be deceived by the promise of an easier life, by others who are looking for a way to further their own agendas. Maybe in the next life, things will always be as they seem. I would look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, creepy. I thought it was interesting that it was the skunk (the stinky one) who could smell what was going on. Good story! Albeit sad... I agree with what nosurfgirl and Aunt Carolee mentioned, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is disturbing to me because a nest (or home) is destroyed and replaced by a spider's web. At the end of the story there are no birdlings any more. I don't know if they just don't care about them or if the spider eats them, but that is very ominous. The unnaturalness (birds being persuaded by a spider to build in the thicket) reminds me of the current social trend toward the acceptance by many people (maybe due to their willingness to buy into everything the media is feeding them) of the idea that homosexuals should be allowed to marry. After all, one of the main reasons home and marriage are important is that children need nurturing and protection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read this story this evening for family home evening. We wondered (like Mother mentioned) what happened to the baby birds...and to the big ones for that matter. I thought Mother's analysis was very interesting and made a lot of sense. I was also thinking about how originally the birds were making a nest in the "natural" way-- maybe like many things we grow up doing a certain way even though we don't maybe quite know why (save the Lord commanded me to!)-- until they were convinced they should be doing things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading and thinking about the story. I always like to hear what various people see in a story, often things I didn't realize.

    This particular story (unlike others I've posted on this blog) was written in a "Rimmen Rye" mode--strictly as a moral tale. (And I would envision various people agreeing or disagreeing about my characterization of various things--though different minds are inclined to connect things up differently than the way I do.)

    A word about a detail of the story:
    I was thinking about the similarity in structure between birds' nests and classic spiders' webs (a circular design, symbolic to us humans and almost mandala-like), and how these are instinctive manifestations of these creatures' intelligence. Yet the similarity is contrasted by the difference in function for the two structures. A nest is a structure in which animals lay eggs or give birth to their young, whereas a web is a trap to catch prey (I don't know that the spiders need webs to lay their eggs in sacks or whatever they do. Actually, I did zero amount of scientific research for this story.)

    For me there is a truly frightening point in the story--when they discover pieces of Bluebird's nest scattered all over--it wasn't just abandoned, it was torn apart.

    Anyway, thanks again for reading the story (and reading my going on about my own story).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Rimmen Rye mode stories. It is interesting how people see things, even people from the same family who were raised with many of the same values and ideas. I think we see what we want to see, that validates our perceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dad, weren't we just talking about how all the stories posted on this blog so far have had quite the somber tone? This is the most somber of them all! From the first few words, “There’s something wrong in the forest... There’s a wrong smell there!” I felt a great foreboding to find out what the problem was. Reading other people's comments gave me that same feeling. I think when ideas of the home being torn apart are discussed I feel very vulnerable (as I'm sure we all do).

    Great story. I too enjoyed the fable-like narrative style. The comments made were so good that I find I don't really have anything to add.

    ReplyDelete